Sapsik'ʷałá, a Sahaptian word meaning “teacher,” is the name of a grant project created by the College of Education in partnership with the nine federally recognized Tribes of the State of Oregon:
- Coquille Indian Tribe
- Cow Creek Band of Umpqua Indians
- Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians of Oregon
- Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs Reservation
- The Klamath Tribes
- Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde
- Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation
- Confederated Tribes of the Coos, Lower Upqua, and Siuslaw Indians
- Burns Paiute Tribe
The Sapsik'ʷałá Program, which began in 2002 to support American Indian and Alaska Native teacher candidates in becoming professional educators, provides funding for teacher candidates’ cost of attendance and provides a full year of support services once in the field. These support services include:
- Provision of a mentor
- Formative evaluations of your teaching
- Support for attendance at a professional conference
- Cohort seminar meetings
- Electronic distribution and discussion list
- Access to virtual curriculum and research center
In addition to participating in coursework with all teacher candidates in the UOTeach program, Sapsik'ʷałá students participate in a cohort model with their peers.
The heart of the Sapsik’ʷałá Program is the building of communities of practice, whose participants share problems of practice that arise in the workplace, learn from each other, build a professional identity, and find support and opportunities for career growth.
Communities of practice foster your seamless evolution from pre-service teacher to induction as a new teacher through becoming a teacher leader.
The Sapsik'ʷałá Program's activities are overseen by the Tribal Advisory Council of representatives from the nine federally recognized Tribes of Oregon, the local community, and the university.
The recruitment, support, preservice training, and inservice mentorship of American Indian teachers will be developed together with the oversight of the council.
Program Coordinator: Stephanie Tabibian (Shoshone Paiute)
Program: Sapsik'ʷałá Program
Lokey Education Bldg. Suite 130
5277 University of Oregon, Eugene, OR 97403-5277