You are here

International Applicants

The Department of Educational Studies welcome all applicants with demonstrated academic distinction, a passion for learning and working with youth, and commitment to supporting equitable educational learning communities. We offer two Master's program options:

  1. Curriculum & Teaching - UOTeach is for people pursuing a Master’s in Education and an Oregon Teaching License in Elementary Multiple Subjects or Middle/High School Education authorization levels. UOTeach is ideal for candidates who you plan to pursue K-12 teaching in the USA. Students work with faculty, career teaching professionals, mentors, and peers developing teaching pedagogy skills and subject area instructional methods expertise. Courses are designed to support 34 weeks of progressive supervised practicum field experience. Embedded in the curriculum is a licensure endorsement in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), career training, and step-by-step support of the Educator Teacher Performance Assessment (edtpa).
  2. Curriculum and Teaching Education (CTED)  - is for licensed teachers who are pursuing an Educational Master’s degree. This program is ideal for candidates looking to advance their curriculum development and teaching methodology. International students completing CTED typically go pursue a doctorate program.

If you are interested in teaching English outside the United States or to adults you might look into the TESOL program. See the UO Language Teaching Specialization master’s program offered by the Department of Linguistics.

I. UOTeach (Curriculum & Teaching) Program Requirements

  • Have an equivalent to a Grade Point Average of 3.0 or higher
  • Have demonstrated work (volunteer or paid) with youth of the target age group

Secondary Applicants:

Elementary Applicants:

Graduate School International Applicant Resources:


II. US Student Visa Admissions Process and I-20

1. Departmental acceptance decision is sent to the Graduate School for approval then forwarded to the Office of Admissions for final processing.

2. The Office of Admission verifies student records and demonstration of sufficient funding/financial support then notifies the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). 

  • Financial Documentation - The UO is required by U.S. immigration law to obtain reliable documentation that an international student has financial resources adequate to meet expenses while studying at our institution. Students are required to submit documentation that provides evidence of funding or support equal to the total estimated expense for one academic year. Funds may come from any dependable source, including graduate employment (GE), scholarships, sponsoring agencies, personal funds, or funds from the student's family. Documentation of GE appointments and scholarships may be in the form of an official award letter from the school or contract. Documentation of personal or family funds should be on bank letterhead, or in the form of a legally binding affidavit of support.  Department letters with scholarships, awards or GE offers should be forwarded directly to the Office of Admissions as evidence of full or partial funding at The Office of Admissions and ISSS are responsible for reviewing financial documents and making the final determination as to whether or not the student has provided sufficient proof of financial resources.

3. The SEVIS I-20 coordinator the determines student immigration status and issues the I-20 or assist with the transfer of current immigration records.

III. International Student Scholarships

Study in the United States is a serious undertaking. To decide if it is the best option for you, consider carefully how it will fit into your long-term educational and professional plans. To learn about financial aid, student visas,  required tests, and explore resources see the University of Oregon Graduate School International Applicants site.

Financial Aid Eligibility - most foreign citizens are not eligible for federal student aid from the U.S. Department of Education. There are, however, some instances in which noncitizens may be eligible for financial aid from the U.S. federal government. To establish financial need by submitting a financial resources form to the UO Office of International Affairs.

  1. - check with your country's government and with the University of Oregon's Financial Aid office to see what aid you might be eligible for.
  2. EducationUSA offers in country college advising support to help you search for grants & loans
  3. College of Education Scholarship - International students are eligible for COE scholarships. Complete the common application to multiple donor-supported scholarships by the Feb 1 deadline (campus workshops Nov & January)
  4. University of Oregon graduate Global Corners scholarship 
  5. International Cultural Service Program (ICSP) Scholarship - ICSP students give talks, presentations, panel discussions and performances as part of an effort to provide cross-cultural exchange and educational service in the  Eugene-Springfield schools and community groups.

IV. Financial Resources / Jobs: 

Note: The UOTeach program is a demanding full-time program. Students attending fulltime will need to work limited and flexible hours. Students with job restrictions should contact UOTeach to discuss the cost and time issues of attending part-time.

Learn more about Financial Aid Eligibility for Grad Students contact the UO Financial Aid Office at or call 541-346-3221.

UOTeach is and equal-opportunity, affirmative-action program committed to culturall diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.