You are here

Career Paths

What Is a Family and Human Services Professional?

Many of today's families are unable to cope with such serious problems as poverty, substance abuse, child abuse, domestic violence, and juvenile delinquency.

The National Organization for Human Services (NOHS) describes human services workers as people who hold professional and paraprofessional jobs in such diverse settings as group homes and halfway houses; correctional, intellectual disability, and community mental health centers; family, child, and youth service agencies, and programs concerned with alcoholism, drug abuse, family violence, and aging. The primary purpose of the human service worker is to assist individual and communities to function as effectively as possible in the major domains of living.

How Does a FHS Degree Help You Become a Professional?

The Family and Human Services (FHS) major is designed for students who want to help children, youth, and families learn proactive ways to confront the problems in their lives. Working in non-education and community settings, program graduates provide services that support children and families and help them develop and enhance their abilities to live in today's complex worlds. As part of this major, students gain a broad understanding of learning and intervention, professional communication, prevention, and agency policy and practices. This major option leads to a bachelor's degree in Family and Human Services. With emphasis on several strands of field work in local and regional human services agencies, students get first-hand knowledge of both their own strengths and the various opportunities for professional growth in their area of interest.

What Are Employment Opportunities for FHS Graduates?

Graduates find work as counselors, case workers, employment and vocational specialists, group workers, and residential care providers in child protection services, juvenile justice, corrections, mental health, drug and alcohol rehabilitation and treatment and police work. Some pursue graduate study in the areas of education, social work, or counseling psychology. Others continue in the discipline of counseling, family, and human services as graduate students.