Why earn a degree in special education?
Our special education degree programs provide you with the opportunity to learn from the best researchers in the field of special education.
Our No. 3-ranked graduate programs will prepare you for:
- Research and teaching positions in higher education
- Policymaking positions in state and federal government
- Consultation positions in professional education
Do you want to become a world-class researcher? Do you want to participate in making an important impact in schools, your community, or state and federal government?
If so, the special education program is an opportunity to pursue these opportunities.
The depth and breadth of research, teaching, service, and preparation you will receive here transcend many program options in special education.
The special education program offers the following degree options:
What can I do with a degree in special education?
Our SPED minor and certificate programs provide foundational knowledge and experiences if you:
- plan to pursue a career teaching in general or in special education
- are interested in working with individuals with disabilities in nonschool settings
- are interested in issues concerning people with special needs
If you are interested in becoming a teacher, some course credits can be applied toward meeting the requirements for an Oregon special educator teaching license.
Graduates of our master’s programs are prepared to fill a variety of professional roles, including:
- Home visitors
- Classroom teachers
- EI/ECSE service coordinators (EI licensure program only)
- Evaluation specialists
- Research assistants
Our doctoral degree program provides advanced training that prepares students to be the next generation of leaders in special education.