You are here

Applicant FAQs

Applying to the UOTeach program is fairly straightforward, but there are always questions. Please see the links in this section that include information on local opportunities to volunteer with youth,  funding the program, as well as our UOTeach 2018-19 brochure to help guide you. We hope you will attend one of our monthly perspective student information sessions, offered the Wednesday of every month. If you have questions, please contact us


What are you looking for in an applicant?
Three things: (1) strong academic preparation in your undergraduate work as indicated by transcripts, work experience and test scores; (2) high interest and commitment to working with young people, as indicated by volunteer work, community service, and as supported by letters of recommendation; (3) high interest and commitment to education as a profession as indicated by your essay, volunteer work and resume.

What licenses can I earn in the program?

The UOTeach Program is a Master’s of Education (M.Ed.) degree program that leads to a teaching license for either Elementary-Multiple Subjects (Elementary) or Middle School/High School (Mid/High) content area. Elementary strand students will be authorized to teach pre-K through 8th grade in a self-contained classroom. Mid/High strand students will be authorized to teach a specific subject in grades 5 - 12. UOTeach students major in Curriculum & Teaching Master's of Education.

What Middle/High School subjects can I get licensed in?
You can be endorsed in Foundational or Advanced Math, Science (Integrated Science, Biology, Chemistry or Physics), Social Sciences, English Language Arts or World Languages (French, German, Japanese, Mandarin and Spanish).

Can I use the Oregon license in other states?
Most other states currently have reciprocity with Oregon, meaning you can apply directly for those state licenses on the basis of your Oregon license. Usually the only additional requirements may be tests specific to the other state or a course in that state’s law. Check with the particular state for specifics.

When does the program start?  Can I start in fall or winter?
The start date for all UOTeach students is late June, the beginning of Summer term.

How much time does it take to complete the program?
As a full-time student, the program is four-terms or 12 months, starting with Summer term and ending the following June.

I already have a Master’s degree. Do I need to get the M.Ed.?
Not usually, but there are reasons you may want to complete the M.Ed. Most school districts recognize previous graduate degrees for pay-scale placement and the Oregon licensure agency currently accepts them for renewal of licenses. A few districts are selective about the degrees they recognize and/or only accept advanced degrees completed post-licensure.  

Can I work at an outside job during the program?
It’s very difficult to work while enrolled in the program, given the course load of 16 graduate credits nearly every term and addition student teaching responsibilities beyond the credit load. Students are encouraged to have flexible job arrangements since their courses and field placement requirements must take precedence. Otherwise, although it is less cost-effective, students may elect to enroll in UOTeach part-time.

I have work/family commitments. Can I do the program part-time?
Yes, part-time students are welcome. Since courses are sequential, the part-time program is typically structured over a two-year period. The Graduate School has restrictions around taking an occasional class here and there. It is important to know that the last two terms include half-time student teaching and then full-time student teaching. You would have to be able to make appropriate arrangements during these two terms.

I’m licensed already. Will the UOTeach master’s program work for me?
UOTeach is only a licensure/Master’s program. On a limited basis, we offer a master’s program through Curriculum and Teacher Education (CTED) for those who are already licensed. 

Do you offer online courses?
The majority of classes are in-person and on the Eugene campus. This design is central to our effort to engage in face-to-face conversations among students and faculty modeling learning and teaching.

How much K-12 classroom time is incorporated in the program?
UOTeach is built around developing successful teaching skills. Students spend 34-weeks across the academic year taking on progressive responsibilities in their classroom field placements.

What will I learn in the program?
You will learn how to think like a teacher in a dynamic learning environment. You’ll learn to question the conventional idea of what teaching is. You’ll learn to be aware of the cultural differences that affect how students learn. You’ll learn how to teach students who are emergent bilinguals. And of course, you’ll learn lots of specific techniques for engaging and challenging students.

What should I major in if I want to teach elementary students?
Although we encourage students to major in whatever subject area most interests them. The UO Educational Foundations major is an exceptional preparation program for UOTeach. Students not majoring in Educational Foundations will need to take courses that prepare them with sufficient academics for teaching K-8 multiple subjects. We suggest a strong foundation in math, science, social sciences, English, childhood development, physical education, art, and music. All applicants are required to complete the following prerequisites (Math 211, 212, 213 or EDST 471 and 472; and Physical Education movement). If taking courses at UO, you may also consider taking SPED 411 to ease your spring schedule once in the program.

What should I major in if I want to teach in middle or high schools?
Major in the subject closest to the endorsement area you want to teach. For example, in the Social Sciences, you have options in history, geography, economics, and political science. Think about the curriculum in most high schools and learn broadly and deeply in one of those areas. UOTeach is a graduate program, meaning that all candidates have completed baccalaureate degrees. If taking courses at UO, you may also consider taking SPED 411 to ease your spring schedule once in the program.

What tests do I have to take to get into the program?
Students applying for Elementary Multiple Studies are strongly encouraged to take the ORELA subject area tests prior to the start of the program.

Students applying to the Middle School/High School strand, also need to take the ORELA Content Test(s) that match their subject area. Applicants with passing scores prior to the application will be given priority. Applicants technically have through June 1 to submit passing subject area test scores.

Can I take the tests in computer form?
Tests are offered by nationally through Campus Testing Centers. Please see the ORELA testing companies’ websites for test center information - location, registration, and costs.

How can I get experience working with my chosen age group?  What kinds of experience count?
Strong youth experience takes many forms, can be paid or volunteer, and can be in or out of the classroom. Classrooms, after-school programs, athletics, clubs, camps, and group tutoring sessions are just a few of the types of experiences that can help you be sure of your target age group and help you demonstrate your sincerity in working with youth. Keep in mind that you should have knowledge of group dynamics in these situations, so one on one types of experiences aren’t as desirable as part of your application. Check with schools, local organizations, educational service districts, and campus programs for opportunities. For those who are in the Eugene-Springfield area, please check the specific volunteer opportunities page.

I graduated with a GPA less than 3.0. Is there a chance my application would still be considered?  If not, what other options do I have to improve my GPA?
We will consider applications with less than a 3.0 GPA. If your transcript shows stronger grades in later years, that’s a plus. Still, if your GPA is less than 3.0, you can improve your chances by taking relevant coursework before applying and earning high grades. If your GPA is under 3.0, please provide an explination of your gpa in your application.

Is it possible to list more than three references on my UOTeach application?
No, references are limited to three.

Can I have my references and transcripts sent to me and then send them with my application to the program?
No, all application materials go directly into the online application and should not be sent to the Department. All transcripts are sent to the UO Admissions Office must be official.

Do UO graduates have priority over those who graduated from other schools?
No, all applicants are considered equally based on their merits.

If I submit my application early, do I have precedence over those who apply later?
No, all applications are considered equally after the January deadline.

How much is tuition for the program?
The Registrar’s office can provide you with information on tuition and fees. UOTeach tuition falls under the category of Graduate Tuition, Education/Master's Doctorate Supervision. When estimating for future years, see Student Funding. Keep in mind that tuition rates tend to increase each year and that students attend summer through the following June.

What options are available for graduate student funding and or scholarships?
See: Funding UOTeach for Financial Aid and Scholarship resources.