This specialization is offered to Counseling Psychology, School Psychology, or Couples and Family Therapy graduate students. Applications are accepted as early as the first fall term of enrollment.
- Enrollment in Counseling Psychology, School Psychology, or Couples and Family Therapy graduate program
- Demonstration of sufficient Spanish language oral competencies
- Advisor approval – see Verification Letter template – which verifies that the student is:
- enrolled in a participating graduate program
- in good standing in the program
- performing well academically (minimum GPA of 3.0)
- performing well in pre-clinical or clinical work to date
- suitability for enrollment in, or completion of, the specialization
Demonstration of Oral Competencies:
- Passing the OPI (Oral Proficiency Interview) in Spanish with a minimum score of Intermediate/mid-level (students are responsible for arrangements, including costs, for the OPI.
- Completion of a Spanish minor as an undergraduate and within the past 5 years, intensive immersion experiences, OR via enrollment in CPSY 609 Prac Biling Supervision for a term. Students will need to competently converse in Spanish with the Specialization Director or be required to pass the OPI.
Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI):
The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) OPI results in classification as Novice (low, mid, high), Intermediate (low, mid, high), Advanced (low, mid, high), or Superior proficiency (ACTFL, 1999a). The required initial level of language competence for this Specialization is Intermediate/mid-level.
Admissions to the specialization will occur on a rolling basis. Required coursework already completed will count retroactively toward the specialization once a person has been admitted to the specialization.
Steps/checklist – submit all materials to email@example.com
- Submit completed Application Cover Sheet and supporting materials
- Prepare Verification Letter for advisor to complete and submit
- Upon approval, submit completed Graduate School Declaration form
- Upon admission to Specialization, complete coursework and experiential requirements and submit all documentation with Specialization Checklist electronically. All steps must be completed by timelines that are determined by the Graduate School.
Spanish Specialization activities contains the necessary forms for admission, verification, and documentation. There are several important deadlines for these forms – be proactive and plan ahead.