Applicants of the critical and sociocultural studies in education program must meet the following admission requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in the US or its equivalent from a foreign institution
- Acceptance by the department or program in which you plan to study
- University departments and programs determine their own requirements for admission
- Approval of the dean of the Graduate School
- Teaching experience at the K–12 level is strongly preferred, but not required
Complete the online Graduate Admission Application.
Nonrefundable Application Fee: $70 (Domestic Students)/$90 (International Students), paid by credit card or eCheck. You will need to pay the application fee before you are able to submit the application.
- You do not need to complete the online application in one sitting
- You will be able to log in and view/update each section of your application until your payment is made
- Once this fee is paid, your file is officially submitted to the department
The CSSE application requires the following:
You must provide a personal statement with evidence of:
- Past work experience/professional service in education
- Commitment to promoting equity of opportunity for students
- Academic preparation in higher education
- Potential research interests that connect to the CSSE faculty and program
Three Letters of Recommendation
You will be asked to provide three email contacts for people willing to provide letters of recommendation for you that testify to:
- Your professional service to the field of education
- Your commitment to promoting equity of opportunity for students
- Your academic preparation for taking on a doctoral program
Once you enter and confirm the name and email information, you cannot change it.
As soon as you submit the contact information, an email will be automatically generated and sent to each contact requesting a letter of recommendation for you. The email will provide instructions for your contact person about the information needed and how to upload the letter. You will receive an automated email notifying you when each of your contacts uploads their letter, and you may also check the status once you have paid your $70 application fee.
Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
You must upload your detailed CV, with evidence of professional service to the field of education and commitment to promoting equity of opportunity for students. Only tests taken within the past 10 years are valid.
Office of the Registrar
5257 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403
Upload final degree (bachelor’s and above) transcripts during the online application process. These transcripts should exactly match the official transcripts you have mailed to the Registrar's Office.
Academic Writing Sample
Please upload one academic writing sample. Your sample should be formal, scholarly writing that demonstrates your ability to write cogently and cite references where applicable. A research paper you wrote for a previous college course is acceptable.
If you have questions about any aspect of the application packet, please contact email@example.com.