Although an impressive body of empirical research has increased our understanding of child abuse and neglect intervention, it has also shown that intervention alone does not decrease the rates of child abuse and neglect; they remain very high in the United States. A new kind of effort is needed to translate existing and emerging knowledge into significant reduction in the rates of child abuse and neglect.
The Center for the Prevention of Abuse and Neglect is designed to develop, implement and research a collective impact and public health approach to child abuse/neglect prevention.
The mission of the Center is to act as a convening body to design, coordinate, facilitate, and measure a community-campus collective impact initiative toward violence prevention, with initial priority to reducing child abuse and neglect in Lane County 90 percent by 2030.
Goals of the Center for the Prevention of Abuse and Neglect
- To create an innovative community-campus partnership that demonstrates the exponential impact of pooling local talent and best practice knowledge toward resolution of an adaptive social problem.
- To demonstrate effective, to-scale application of best practice prevention knowledge, collective impact, and the public health model aligned across one U.S. County.
- To develop and implement innovative population-based, county-wide measurement of child abuse and neglect prevention in a manner that provides meaningful process-based corrective feedback and compelling outcome data.
- To provide child abuse prevention technical assistance expertise and training for other region-centered communities in the United States.
The Center includes each of the following components:
- organizational infrastructure to facilitate alignment of CI Initiative and abuse-prevention strategic plan
- Lane County-wide shared goal development, shared measurement system, and data-based decision-making
- data collection, reporting and continuous improvement systems
- technology & communication systems
- community engagement
- mobilization of strategic university resources toward support of CPAN
The first effort of the Center for the Prevention of Abuse and Neglect is 90by30: reducing child abuse and neglect in Lane County 90 percent by 2030. For more information on this initiative, please visit 90by30.uoregon.edu.