The Department of Special Education and Clinical Sciences (SPECS) offers a minor in special education for students who (a) plan to pursue a career teaching in general or special education, (b) are interested in working with individuals with disabilities in non-school settings, and/or (c) are interested in issues concerning people with special needs. The minor consists of a core of required coursework and electives. Some of these credits can be applied toward meeting the requirements for an Oregon Special Educator Teaching License.
- 18 credits must be completed in residence at the University of Oregon.
- 13 credits must be SPED prefix courses (e.g., SPED 411).
- At least 12 credits must be taken on a graded basis.
- A minimum grade of “B-” or “P*” must be earned in each required course; "C" or "P" must be earned in each elective course.
- No more than 6 field studies credits can be counted toward the minor requirements.
- No more than 2 courses from the student’s major prefix can be counted toward the minor.
- Students wishing to waive required coursework, use transfer credits (up to 6) as part of the minor requirements, or take an elective not specified on the elective list, need to obtain coordinator approval.
To Declare the Special Education Minor
- Complete at least 1 credit of SPED 406*, and SPED 407, 411 (5/10 required credits) with a minimum grade of “B-” or P. (*Or have a Petition to Waiver on file w/ the SPED Minor coordinator.)
- Go to https://oregon.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_6tJ9NcbIWGF9E9f and complete the SPED Minor Application. Your application will be processed within a few days.
Steps to Complete the Minor in Special Education
- Complete the required and elective coursework for the minor – see attached Program Plan.
- Obtain coordinator approval for any course waivers, transfers, or elective course approval.
- List the special education minor on your application for graduation.
- If you cannot complete the requirements, do not list the minor on your application for graduation or your bachelor's degree from the UO will be denied.
The Special Education Program offers a Certificate in Foundations of Special Education for students who are interested in a career in public education, human services and social work, or a related field. This certificate is designed to provide foundational knowledge about the field of special education and would benefit students interested in a career in supporting students with disabilities in public school, agency, or community settings. The certificate has an emphasis on developing skills and knowledge in three areas: a) foundations of disability; b) instructional methods for students with disabilities; c) behavioral and social emotional supports for students with disabilities.
- Students must complete a minimum of 40 credits of required courses.
- All upper division credits must be completed in residence at the University of Oregon.
- A minimum grade of “B-” or “P*” must be earned in each required course.
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade unless only offered pass/no pass (i.e., field studies, practicum)
- Students wishing to waive required coursework need to obtain coordinator approval.
To Apply for the Special Education Certificate Program
- Complete at least 1 credit of SPED 406*, and SPED 407, 411, and 412 (8/10 required credits) with a minimum grade of “B-” or P. *Or have a Petition to Waiver on file w/ the SPED Certificate coordinator.
- Go to [ADD LINK] and complete the SPED Certificate Program Application.
- Along with your application, you will submit a professional goal statement and two letters of recommendation
- An initial interview and advising meeting with the program coordinator is also required.
- Admitted students must have a signed program plan and copy of COE badge on file with the coordinator.
For more information contact: Elisa Jamgochian, PhD, SPED Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
Click on the links below for additional information:
- SPED Minor Program Plan
- SPED Certificate Program Plan
- SPED Minor Application (online)
- SPED Certificate Application
- Petition to Waiver
- FHS 406 Waiver (submit with Petition to Waiver, if waiving SPED 406 for FHS 406)
- Background Check/COE Badge
- UO SPED Minor & Certificate Obaverse Site (includes link to field placement sites)
- University of Oregon Special Education Program Facebook Page