You are here

History of the College

Timeline of the College of Education

1872: University of Oregon established by an act of the state legislature. The citizens of Eugene and Lane County hold strawberry festivals and church socials and sell produce to finance it.

1876: (Photo at left) University of Oregon opens with 155 students and five faculty members.

1880: The precursor to the future School of Education, the “normal course” curriculum for training teachers is one of three courses of study at the university. The science of instruction (pedagogy) is included in UO curricular offerings in order to meet the state’s demand for teachers.

1881: Henry Villard, the University of Oregon’s first benefactor, prevents the closure of the university by paying $7,000 of its $8,181.89 indebtedness.

1896: Pedagogy (the science of instruction) established as part of the Department of Philosophy.

First Education Summer School Session is held in Gearhart Park near Astoria, Oregon, for in-service training of teachers.

1900: Department of Philosophy and Education is established as part of the newly named College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.

1910: School of Education is established.

1916: The first UO education building is built. Originally known as Oregon Hall, it later became the west wing of Gilbert Hall. (Though this building is no longer part of the College of Education today, the words “education building” and the lamp of learning can still be seen in carvings over the door.)
1918: School of Education accredited by the Northwest Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.

· Education Buildings
1921: New education buildings include two structures built at the same time as Susan Campbell Hall. In addition to the college, they house a “cadet” teacher preparation school, host the law school for a while, and serve as a junior high school and then as University High School for the city of Eugene.
1920s: University High School becomes so well attended that enrollment has to be limited.

1926: School of Education begins to address needs of students with learning disabilities. Summer sessions teach special education pedagogy.

1928: School of Education Summer Clinic addresses instructional and literacy needs of students with reading difficulties.

The Clinic for Exceptional Children established in the School of Education by Burchard W. DeBusk.

1937: The Clinic for Exceptional Children renamed the DeBusk Memorial Clinic for Exceptional Children in recognition of its founder, Burchard W. DeBusk.

· Annex
· Relocated Annex

1949: A small frame cottage built in 1922 behind Johnson Hall becomes home to the Teacher Placement Office.
1950s: Era of technical outreach services begins for UO education faculty, who design and administer the first federally supported outreach programs for educational systems in underdeveloped countries (e.g., in Nepal, education faculty train more than 2,000 Nepalese educators, design a 25-year program, and design systems for teacher training, educational text publishing, and research).

1950: The small frame cottage housing the Teacher Placement Office is jacked up and relocated near the Education Building. Originally built behind Johnson Hall in 1922, it had been known previously as Quartz Hall, History House, or the Drama Studio, depending on which of many UO departments was using it. In 1959 it is named the Education Annex.

1951: A grant from the Kellogg Foundation targets the training of school superintendents. This pilot program shapes the training of school administrators across the nation, focusing a national spotlight on the School of Education.

· "Uni High"
1953: University High School closes, and its students are moved elsewhere in the 4J school system.
1960-70: School of Education faculty secures government and foundation grants to stimulate innovations in student teaching:
• Internship program
• Block program for elementary teachers
• Additional field experience in public schools
• Team teaching.

1960s: A new era of specialization: The School of Education emerges as a national leader in quality graduate programs in educational research and school administration.

1965-73: Trailers are brought in to help with overload due to growth of the college.

1968: On July 1 the School of Education officially becomes the College of Education.

1969: A Clinical Services Building is constructed on East 18th Avenue with state and federal funds.
1980: An education addition provides offices and two large classrooms.

1991: Oregon’s property tax limitation, Measure 5, is adopted, reducing support for government and school services.

1991-94: Post-Measure-5 status of COE: Communication Disorders and Sciences, Educational Leadership, Special Education, School Psychology and some Teacher Education programs are retained, but
• Enrollment drops to low of 460 students
• Most elementary and secondary licensure programs are eliminated
• Faculty is cut by 39%

· 151 ED
1991: Room 151 in the 70-year-old Education Building is remodeled with the support of faculty members in the Division of Educational Policy and Management.
1992: Post-Measure-5 rebuilding of college programs begins. Martin J. Kaufman becomes dean of the College of Education. By 1994 new undergraduate educational studies and licensure programs are launched.

1994/95: New Educational Studies program is established with two areas of concentration:
• Integrated Teaching
• Family and Community Services

1997: College of Education faculty first ranked as the number one most productive funded educational research faculty in the nation. (US News & World Report) Number one ranking of COE faculty has been achieved in seven of the eight years between 1997-2004.

1997/98: First group of students receive baccalaureate degrees in the Family and Community Services program. With concentration in interpersonal violence, drug and substance abuse, or youth violence,
students prepare to work in community and human services agencies

· Amy-Dor Room
1998: Room 152 is remodeled and dedicated as the Amy-Dor Room as a prototype for collaborative learning and technology utilization.
1998/99: First group of education graduates since Measure 5 receive licensure and master’s degrees in education.

New Middle/Secondary Teaching program established

1999-2004: College of Education Special Education program ranked in the top four of graduate special education programs in the nation for six consecutive years. (U.S. News & World Report)

1999/2000: College of Education enrolls 1100 students with addition of new Educational Foundations undergraduate program.

2000/2001 Family and Human Services program (formerly Family and Community Services) designed by COE with 25 stakeholder agencies.

Marriage and Family Therapy specialization approved.

Graduate Elementary Teaching Program established for students with existing baccalaureate degree.

2001-09: With enrollment grown to nearly 1,500, UO College of Education is ranked in the top ten of the nation’s public graduate schools of education. (U.S. News & World Report)
The college offers programs in five areas:
• Educational Leadership
• Speech Language and Hearing Sciences
• Teacher Education
• Counseling Psychology and Human Services
• Special Education

· HEDCO Gift
March 9, 2004: The largest donation ever made to the UO College of Education is announced. This lead gift of $10 million pledged by the northern-California-based HEDCO Foundation launches a fund-raising initiative to build a state-of-the-art education complex at the college's current location.

· Legislative Funding
· Lokey Gift
· Project Architects
· Building Project Drawings

August 4, 2005: Senate Bill 5514 includes bonds for $19.4 million in matching funds to support the College of Education building and complex as well as $4.3 million for College of Education complex parking facilities.
March 1, 2006: Lorry Lokey's $12.5 million pledge for the COE building project honors his teachers—and challenges other donors. Lokey’s gift, added to 2.5 million in funds he will match from other donors, would complete the financing for the $48 million project.

March, 2006: The building project user group selects Thomas Hacker Architects, Inc. to design the new facilities.

September 1, 2006: Michael Bullis is named dean of the College of Education.

· Moving & Construction
· Project Snapshots

July & August, 2007: College faculty and staff members pack and move their offices to temporary locations to prepare for renovation of existing spaces.
September 8, 2007: Demolition begins of the "tennis court parking lot" to make room for construction of the new HEDCO Education Building.

October 26, 2007: Official groundbreaking ceremony for the HEDCO Education Building.

May 30, 2008: First relocations to new permanent locations! Behavioral Research and Teaching (BRT) moves into renovated 175 and 275 Education.

June 2–3, 2008: Office of the Dean administration, academic programs, business office, communications, development, diversity coordinator, and student academic support services move into renovated 170 and 270 Education.

July & August, 2008: Department of Educational Leadership (EDLD) moves into its new permanent space in the remodeled East Wing.

December, 2008: Educational and Community Supports (ECS) moves into their new space in the south end of University High, and—during a winter storm—Teacher Education moves into renovated space in the north end. With these moves, the College of Education permanently vacates the YWCA, the two ECS houses, and the old trailers!

February 8, 2009: With the move of a former ECS house to 17th and Charnelton, all three of the old houses and all of the old trailers previously at the corner of 18th and Alder have been moved or demolished. Construction proceeds on new parking in this area.

Monday, March 23, 2009: The first residents move into the new HEDCO Education Building! Moves continue through Spring Break and the following two weeks. By April 10, 2009, all COE units and personnel move out of temporary spaces and into the new building! June 11, 2009, the university community celebrated the grand opening of the College of Education complex.

2010 and Beyond: Plans for this unified education complex to support teaching and human services in the 21st century depend on support from the state and from private donors who know the value of education for our children and our communities.

In our centennial year, we celebrated the college's many supporters and the services they make possible. With great new facilities, just imagine what we can accomplish in the next 100 years!

Belongs to: