You are here

Family and Human Services-Early Childhood Emphasis

The FHS-ECE program has been discontinued. Please contact FHS Director, Jessica Cronce, at 541-346-2519 or, for more information.

Applications are no longer being accepted.

One degree, many possibilities…

The Family and Human Services program-Early Childhood Emphasis (FHS-ECE) at the University of Oregon College of Education is designed around you and your busy life. This 62-credit, roughly two-year bachelor’s degree not only satisfies the federal requirements for teaching in a Head Start program, with a mix of human services and early childhood classes, it qualifies you to pursue a wide variety of related career paths such as early childhood teacher, family advocate, case worker, or other human-service careers. It also prepares you to pursue an advanced degree, such as a master’s in social work or early intervention/special education. With so many possibilities for personal and professional growth, the question isn’t whether you should do this- it is why you wouldn’t.

Passion, support and cutting-edge tools…

The FHS program is known for strong student support and a passion for teaching, and the Early Childhood Emphasis is no exception. Our goal is to make college as simple as possible, with minimal travel and hassle. Most classes are online, using the UO’s own collaborative learning platform, ObaVerse (  You’ll only spend two weekends per term on campus and some summer classes.

Experience counts…

A typical bachelor’s degree program wouldn’t take your experience into account. Ours does. Because you’re already working in the early childhood field, your field requirements are greatly reduced and can be completed in your own community. What’s more, the experience you and your peers bring to our small classes only enriches the educational experience for everyone.

You’re ready. We’re ready. Lets do this!


  Watch our short informational video on YouTube!

Click to view the FHS-ECE Program Brochure

The following FAQ’s will address some of the questions you may have about the Family and Human Services program-Early Childhood Emphasis:

Who is eligible for the FHS-ECE program?
Individuals that have had at least two years accumulative experience working with children, preferably at-risk children. This could include working in a child abuse prevention program such as a Relief Nursery, Head Start, or a homeless shelter that serves families with children.

I have less than 2 years experience in early childhood settings. Can I still apply?
Yes, we encourage you to apply. We review each application on a case by case basis. You may be asked to complete additional experiences in early childhood settings while you are in the program.

I don't have all my general education requirements finished, can I still apply?
We recommend you complete your general education requirements before applying. As a transfer student you may have specific questions about how University of Oregon’s general education requirements work. For a quick tutorial, please visit the following website:
The Associates of Arts Oregon Transfer  (AAOT) degree is a good option. The University of Oregon recognizes an associate of arts Oregon transfer (AAOT) degree or an associate of science Oregon transfer (ASOT) degree in business to fulfill the lower-division education requirements. If you transfer to the UO with an AAOT degree or an ASOT degree in business, you will have satisfied the writing and group portions of the university's general-education requirements. Once you apply to the University of Oregon, you will receive a degree audit that will inform you of general requirements you may still need.
Contact our skilled academic advisor for help with your academic plan. Christi Boyter, 541-346-2476,
If you are working towards an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in early childhood or already have this degree, you may have additional general education requirements to fulfill at UO. We prefer that you complete those before applying, but you can also choose to complete these requirements during or after you finish the FHS-ECE degree requirements. Please know this may extend your graduation plan past the two years.

I work for Head Start and was told the requirements for education were changing. What are the requirements for Head Start teachers?
By September 30, 2013 at least 50% of Head Start teachers nationwide must have a baccalaureate or advanced degree in Early Childhood Education or a baccalaureate or advanced degree in any subject, and coursework equivalent to a major relating to early childhood education with experience teaching preschool-age children.
The FHS-ECE program was developed in collaboration with Head Start, Early Intervention/Special Education, and the State of Oregon Childcare Division Registry and meets all early childhood education standards for a baccalaureate degree.

I live out of the Eugene/Springfield area. How can I attend this program?
All the classes for the FHS-ECE program are online or a combination of online and intensive weekend classes.  Two weekends per term you will come to the UO campus to engage with the instructor and fellow students. Internships will be completed within your own community.

Can I go at my own pace and take one or two classes per term?
This is a cohort model of learning; everyone starts the program Fall term and most students will complete the program in June of the second year. Some students will require a third year to complete all University of Oregon graduation requirements. The classes for the two-year program build upon each other; skills and knowledge in previous classes informs subsequent classes. Please see the FHS-ECE Two Year Program Plan: FHS-ECE Two-Year Program Plan.

I am worried about balancing work, family, and school. What supports are in place for non-traditional students?
One requirement for admission to this program is a letter of support from your work supervisor. Having support and endorsement from your employer is essential for flexibility of workload and hours. Our staff and faculty are known for providing a supportive learning environment that takes individual circumstances into account. Additionally, the University of Oregon has many supports in place for non-traditional students, including the Non-Traditional Student Union and Student Support Services

How do I pay for this program?
Students should apply online for financial aid (FAFSA) at Federal financial aid, loans, and scholarship information can be found at Additional funding information can be obtained by contacting NEDCO at, the College of Education Scholarships and the Osher Re-Entry Scholarship

For more information contact:
Kathy Moxley-South, PhD.
FHS-ECE Coordinator/Faculty